Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Back When I Was Your Age








You know the saying, our parents probably said it to us a million times when we were growing up.  Since I don't have children, I don't have anyone to use it on, but I think it in my head quite frequently at work while I watch the youth of today.  I have a really hard time understanding what "cool" is all about today.  I'm especially confused after taking a quiz I saw on Facebook, "Are You Actually A Hipster?"
via BuzzFeed.  I don't know why I was compelled to take it since I already knew the answer, a big Hell  No, but I did for shits and giggles.  Let me first say I got a 5 out of 102, and this was the explanation of my score:
                "You own one pair of Ray-Bans, and you wear them earnestly.  You aren't upset with the status quo and you don't take it out on your Instagram Followers."

For this quiz you had to click on pictures of "whatever you're into."  I was unaware that Pabst Blue Ribbon is now considered hip or that Etsy is too.  Being that Etsy is so popular amongst so many non-hipsters, I thought it would have be shunned by now.  I guess that is another reason for my lack of hipness.
These hipsters are a new type of poser, they are so against the mainstream, but they have conformed into their own hipster culture.  I would consider the hipsters, Super Douche Bags.  I can walk into any crowded restaurant just a quick ride from my house and be surrounded by these Hipster Super Douche Bags (HSDBs).  Plaid shirts, the dark rim nerd glasses, Chuck Taylors, and skinny jeans adorn all them, and the "I am the center of the universe" attitudes hang thick in the air.  They may not live off their parents wealth now, but most of these HSDBs don't have student loans or drive a Ford focus, courtesy of  mommy and daddy.  Before any of you say it, because someone out there is thinking it, I do not want to be a HSDB.  The only thing I am the least bit envious of is the lack of student loans.  My plaid shirts and skinny jeans are not purchased from the army, as in Salavation Army, but the Navy, aka Old Navy.  I'm quite sure most of the HSDBs are buying their "vintage" apparel from Urban Outfitters or Anthropologie anyway.

If you are unsure if you are or want to be a hipster, take a look at the definition.   Urban Dictionary defines "hipsters" as:
           
 "A subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter.  Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs.  Anti-hipster sentiment often comes from people who simply can't keep up with social change and are envious of those who can."

All I can do is laugh at the last sentence in the above definition.  Wouldn't it be oxymoronic to reject the mainstream, but keep up with social change.  
Why don't you all take the quiz, post your results and we will see who gets deleted from my Facebook friends list for being a hipster.

No comments:

Post a Comment