Tuesday, July 8, 2014

I Take You, Uh What Is Your Name Again? To Be My Husband...

...for a few weeks to see if it will work out.

I do not consider myself to be a reality TV junkie, even though I might be.  I religiously watch every season of the Bachelor/Bachelorette.  Besides that, I do watch other reality shows, but mostly the ones Babboo watches, Deadliest Catch, Naked and Afraid, and the food competition shows like Hell's Kitchen.  I am intrigued by the FYI, channel's Married at First Sight, which premieres tonight.  This one screams, "SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE BE DAMNED!"  I'm not sure what the success rate of the Danish show is, which has the identical name, but I believe I will tune in because it sounds like a possible train wreck in the making.
The description of the show on the website has this to say:
  The couples will never meet or know each other until they walk down the aisle and see each other face to face, for the first time, when they get married. Each episode of “Married at First Sight” will follow the classic lifestyle stories of newlyweds – from the honeymoon to early nesting to other relatable events of married life. After several weeks together, each couple must make a decision: do they remain together or decide to separate?

I have no problem with people who get divorced. People make choices based on where they are in their lives at that time.  People change, their needs change, circumstances change.  If any one of my friends came to me and said they had been really working to make their marriage work, but it was time to cut their losses, I would be totally supportive.  If a friend came to me and said, "hey I'm going to marry this guy for shits and giggles, and if it doesn't work I can always get a divorce," I would be less supportive.

I don't care if you have 100 experts picking the bride/groom.  A relationship needs time to grow and be cultivated.  I can barely keep a fern alive, so even with help from a master gardener, I'm sure its life would still be in jeopardy.  I don't see how this could possibly be any different.  I know they are randomly putting these people together, but how much information can they possibly be using to pick someones mate?  I'm sure there's some sort of application for show candidates, and hopefully background checks, psychological tests, and lie detector tests that are done before they pair some poor girl or guy with Buffalo Bill, or Glen Close's character from Fatal Attraction, or the husband from Sleeping With the Enemy, or Kathy Bates' character from Misery..... the list goes on and on, I think you are picking up what I'm laying down here.  I just don't think you should treat marriage like picking a paint color, I like what I see on this tiny paint sample, so I'm just going to go with it and repaint later if I don't like it.

I'm going to give the first episode a try and report back.  This better not be an hour of my life I wish I could get back.  The up side, I'm off Atkins so I can partake of a big bowl of popcorn which I have 10 minutes to make before the train wreck begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment