Sunday, August 3, 2014

This Is Not the Pythagorean Theorem

“ Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they please. ”
— Pythagoras

We live in a society where people have learned they can be ass holes and get away with it.  Unfortunately, they usually get what they want because no one else calls them out on it.  Maybe we've just grown accustom to it, or we think it's not our business to step in when someone is being rude or obnoxious to someone else, or maybe we are in a position that we can't call them out, "The customer is always right."  

I worked in retail for 16+ years, and I had to take it everyday.  There wasn't one day that went by that someone wasn't a douche bag to some extent.  Imagine being at work for 8 hours a day, for 3675 days, and having at least one person treat you like shit, like you are beneath them.  It makes you really dislike people in general, because as they say one bad apple can ruin the whole bunch.  

I did have my favorite customers, who I loved.  I knew them by name, could tell you what they bought, what their houses looked like, their kids names, where they last went on vacation.  Some I went to lunch with, consoled when they told me of a loss of a loved one or a divorce they were going through. They were the light in my day.   They were few and far between.  The good ones.

So, is it any wonder, after almost 4000 days of working, and dealing with nasty people that I am cynical and dislike people? Even on my days off, if I left the house, there was always that one person, who would send my blood pressure through the roof.  I guess it's because I'm accommodating, and aware of how I treat others.  When someone else isn't, it really pisses me off.  How dare they act like an ass hole and still "get ahead" in the world.  Why isn't Karma instant?

Then I am easily annoyed by the people that so frequently, ring their own bell.  The ones that say, "hey, everyone, look at me.  I'm the shit."  I don't know why it bugs me so much.  Maybe it's just jealousy.  There's a LOT of these people where I live.  The hipster douche bags, the people with new money, the people with old money, the vain, plastic-filled, self absorbed people with zero substance.  I try my hardest to just avoid these people at all costs, but like I said they're around every corner here.  To add insult to injury we have a monthly magazine that comes out in the small village I live in that contains a "Meet Your Neighbor" article.  Yet another way for someone to say look at me and my fabulous life.  

A newly discovered blogger, Michelle, wrote in a recent post, "I am deciding to keep finding happiness and beauty and humor where I can. I don’t think this is a bad idea for all of us. I’m not suggesting we stand on our roofs while playing our fiddles, but we might as well be as happy as we can be while we are here."  I don't understand why this is so difficult for me to embrace and hold on to.

“We ought so to behave to one another as to avoid making enemies of our friends, and at the same time to make friends of our enemies.”
― Pythagoras
 

No comments:

Post a Comment