Saturday, December 6, 2014

Hope, Fear, and Peace

The movies I usually watch are comedies.  I like the mindless hour and a half of humor.  Babboo likes to watch all kinds of movies.  Rarely do movies stick with me and get me thinking.  Babboo watched Heaven is For Real a few nights ago and he told me I should watch it.  Last night I decided to give it a go.  I'd never seen previews for this movie, so I'm not sure if it was in theaters or for how long, if it was.  I'll give you a Readers Digest condensed recap for those of you that didn't see it.

The movie is about a couple with two children.  The father is a pastor and the mom stays at home with the children.  Their youngest child, Colton, must undergo emergency surgery for a ruptured appendix.  After the surgery, Colton starts to tell his father about how he visited Heaven and saw Jesus, angels, his father's grandfather.  Colton's "experience" comes under criticism by people in the community and members of the church.  The movie is based on the Burpo family and their son's near death experience. 

The movie also references Akiane Kramarik, a self taught painter who began painting at the age of 4.  She claimed God had spoken to her and told her to paint her visions.  Not all of her paintings are religious in nature.  In Heaven is For Real, Colton sees a painting done by Akiane of Jesus.  Colton 
confirms that is what Jesus looks like.

This movie was one of those "thinking" movies.  When it's over you start to question your own beliefs. I think we all want to believe there is a heaven and that we will eventually be there.  We hope that all of our loved ones will be too.  I really hope at the moment I die there will be a feeling of peace.  In all honesty, I'm terrified of death.  I desperately hope death isn't the end.  

I don't think this movie is for everyone though.  There are a few people I know that would dispute this movie based on their religious beliefs, or lack of, and that's fine.  I don't like people beating the Bible in my face and I would never do that to anyone.  Your beliefs are your beliefs.  I just want people to respect mine.  

I liked this movie.  Jennifer Snarkypants Siskel gives it a thumbs up.   

No comments:

Post a Comment