Friday, May 1, 2015

If I Wanted Your Opinion....



I'll just ask you...

Yes, I am still looking for a job.  I am having a hard time remaining positive and optimistic at this point.  Today while searching through job postings, I actually found a couple that are possibilities.  I know some people are probably thinking, "you've been looking for a job for a LOOONGG time, you should be applying for every job you are even close to being qualified for!"  Thankfully I'm in a situation that allows me to be a little more cautious as to who I'm sending my resume to.

This is the deal.  I want more than a job. I want a career, truly.  I want a job that I enjoy.  I want an employer that cares about their employees, can give honest, constructive feedback, pays a fair wage, and has good benefits.  I don't think it's unreasonable to find out as much as you can about a prospective employer before you jump head first out of the proverbial frying pan.

This is where all of you come in.  I know some of you find LinkedIn useless and for a time I did too.  Today, when I found the two jobs that sparked my interest, I thought I'd find people who work for the company and send them a private message and ask for some feedback about their employer.  If someone contacted you, would you respond and would you be honest with your response?  After I sent two messages, I thought maybe I need to contact former employees because they might be more apt to respond and be honest.  Then I thought if they left under bad terms, they might exaggerate with their "cons."

I've read every review on Glassdoor for both companies, but I want to be able to have a dialogue with someone, not just read anonymous reviews.  I'm a pretty awesome catch and I want to be sure a company is worthy of having me as their employee.

No comments:

Post a Comment